Monday, April 21, 2014

"I am Legend", Are You Kidding Me?

At the start of I am Legend I didn't know exactly what to think of Robert Neville. It seemed strange that, in the aftermath of the infection, Neville lived a routine life. He would spend each day doing the same things that for the most part were mundane and monotonous. I was expecting him to be presented with new and difficult challenges every day, but that's not something the last man on earth would do. Like most of us Neville made his life something he could expect because consistency is safe and comfortable. As his routine changed and he began to repurpose his life Neville became more interesting. It became increasingly obvious that the vampires taunting him outside his home weren't necessarily his worst problem, but instead his mental demons caused by his loneliness were doing much more damage. And just as the story really started to get interesting and engaging, and I finally started to care about Neville the story ended with "I am Legend". It was a short, rushed, and dissatisfying way to end the Neville's journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment