Monday, April 28, 2014

I Guess I Can Cross LSD Off My Bucket List?

The Futurological Congress is best described as a surreal journey and probably most akin to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It is one of the strangest novels I have ever read and raises a myriad of questions that I can't even begin to answer. First of all, why is that nobody seems to care for human life? The eighth annual futurological congress at the Hilton Nounas held their proceedings amid a violent protests and thought nothing of it. Moreover, in several scenes men are murdered in front of Ijon Tichy and the rest of the presenters and the corpses are treated like a spill that needs cleaning. It seems like everyone has a weapon and isn't afraid to use it. Second, when does Ijon Tichy stop/start/ever hallucinate? It appears relatively straightforward at first, as the LTN (Love Thy Neighbor) bombs drop he and a few others escape to the sewer. Tichy starts hallucinating as I follow him into the sky, across the gravel road, into the party, into two other persons' bodies, and then back to the sewer. But when the sewer survivors are rescued a second time is it real or a hallucination. Before the violence and the psychochem benevolence Ijon Tichy appears to be a very important person. Why then would the Americans and other futurological congress attendees leave him in the sewer? Thus far Stanislaw Lem has left me profoundly confused and I hope that much is resolved in the second half or that at least a few of my questions are answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment