Monday, April 28, 2014

The Endings

The book and movie left the viewer/reader with a completely different, and almost opposite, sentiment after completion. As has been previously mentioned about both I, Robot and I Am Legend, the demand for a certain type of story, and a certain kind of ending drives Hollywood to craft a message that is usually more heroic or gripping than that of the novel.
The novel’s ending seemed to be a more honest and realistic view and comment on the direction of humanity and what would actually happen in the event of a rise of infected zombies (it could happen). The ending of the movie struck more more as a scene from 24, where Will Smith finds the cure just in time, and then sacrifices himself just as the attackers are closing in, with seconds to spare. Although I appreciate the more somber ending of the book, I sure did enjoy the ending of the movie more.

I also realized that I didn’t need a completely optimistic and happy ending. Had Will Smith not found the cure, but still gone out ‘guns blazing’ or by doing something cool, I still would have viewed him as a “legend”. I am still struggling which ending I actually like better; the one that I enjoyed or the one that I found to be more truthful and revealing.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that Hollywood’s tendency to form elaborate adaptations of novels stems from the demand of consumers for certain standards of exhilaration and heroism. This tendency is evident in the Hollywood adaptation of Matheson’s I am Legend. In the film, right from the beginning, Robert Neville has a companion in his dog Sam. This is a contrast to the novel, where Neville was forced to suffer through severe loneliness until an ill dog briefly comes into his life. Therefore, the crazed, lonely Neville of the novel was seen as unfit or too pathetic for the Hollywood screen. The film also opens with Will Smith speeding around in a Mustang. This mode of transportation is a sharp contrast to his vehicle of choice in the novel, which was a simple station wagon. This swap is the result of popular culture’s admiration towards the sports car and lack of interest toward the boring, old station wagon. Neville’s fiery, explosive death at the end of the film was also much more heroic than his pill induced suicide of the novel. However, while the exciting action of the film and its hopeful ending is pleasing for audiences, I agree that the novel as a whole is much more realistic than its Hollywood adaptation.

    ReplyDelete