Monday, April 14, 2014

The most striking difference I found between the I, Robot film and novel was the perception of trust of the robots. In the novel, the characters that trust the robots most are prestigious and intelligent. We see the robots through the perspectives of characters like Susan Calvin, Powell, and Donovan. Although these characters have to deal with various robot shenanigans, they ultimately trust the power of the three rules to keep them safe and their world efficient. The characters that have problems with robots, like Gloria’s mother, are portrayed in a negative light. This juxtaposition encouraged me to support team robot, but I cannot exactly say the same after seeing the I, Robot film.
            In the film, it seems like Will Smith is portrayed as the hero. Additionally, he is almost idolized as the only one who really understands the gravity of the robot situation. Other characters like Dr. Calvin and the police chief are portrayed as naïve for their faith in the robots. I imagine that the film will continue with this theme of robots as the enemy. Having read the novel first, I am biased to support the side of the robots, but I am open to seeing how the adaptation might change the original message.

            While the film appears to be a clear warning against artificial intelligence, the novel is not exactly the opposite. At first I thought the message was pro-robot, but a deeper analysis suggests that Asimov’s conclusion is more subtle, and requires the reader to develop his or her own interpretation.

No comments:

Post a Comment